Boy oh boy that month rolls by so quickly! When you put your hand up for these things they seem so eminently ‘do-able’ but time goes by so very swiftly! Anyway, my January garment of the month –
From my quilting days I have a
truck load modest amount of solid coloured fabric in my oversize modest stash!! Thankfully, plain coloured skirts are so very versatile and wardrobe friendly and give me the perfect way to reduce the amount of cupboard space needed for fabric and to ease an overburdened conscience!
(note: for those intending to use quilting fabrics for garments, the fabrics are a little ‘stiffer’ because of the sizing that is put on them pre-rolling onto the bolts. However, this is removed with washing.)
I used my straight skirt block pattern drafted using The Pattern Drafter Ruler. However, I wanted something a little bit more interesting than just a grey straight skirt so I decided to make it a two toned grey skirt – and wouldn’t you know it, the stash could accommodate that as well! I added a paler grey yoke and a large band to the bottom of the skirt.
I did lots of top stitching on this skirt – I confess to being rather a frills, lace and florals gal and do find ‘plain’ difficult to live with! To make the stitching stand out I reversed the colour of the thread to the fabric – that is, dark grey fabric with light grey thread, etc. and used a twin needle to keep the stitching always equidistant (4.0mm wide needles). I did all the top stitching before I joined any of the major skirt construction seams so I would have more control over the placement of the stitching. I am bragging just a little, but I am quite pleased with the way the stitching and the colour panels joined up so well on the side seam!
The toughest sewing bit on the skirt was the little false pocket flap. I wanted the dark/pale theme to be carried through to the pocket flaps but I didn’t want the constrast edging to be too wide. Because the flaps had to be faced that meant the edging had to be also double sided. Surprisingly, this was tricky when the edging was so narrow – especially at the corners. I only did a single row of top stitching as the twin needle struggled with all the layers of fabric. However, with the addition of the perfect button, hard to tell here but the button graduates from dark to light grey from the outside to the centre, I am pleased with the overall look. With washing and wearing the fabric will soften up and lose some of its ‘figure folds and I will look less lumpy! Yay!!
Until next time, happy sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting and crafting ….
Until next time, happy sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting and crafting ....